Friday, June 19, 2009

Link pimpage

Economics of the whaling industry: article that details the non-profitability of the whaling industry. While I understand that the industry is technically legal in these countries, it certainly isn't really scientific and I'd like to see it stopped through non-psycho-activist channels. This might be a good way to go, if we can show the people in these countries that their money is being spent to kill animals that would be more profitable seen in whale watching. (Though I suppose for Japan at least that may not be a effective argument; they do most of their hunting in the Southern ocean.)

EDIT: I feel the need to clarify this. The psycho-activists mentioned above have a certain show on TV which I very much dislike. The captain and officers are inept (I've heard comparisons to Gilligan, which would be funny if these people weren't likely to kill their own crew), refer to themselves as "pirates" (and fly a jolly roger as their flag...), and have no regard for the safety of their crew or of the Japanese. (actually, just now, the captain was completely callous in his response to news that the Japanese fleet was looking for a man overboard). Their tactics are illegal and dangerous, and while I do not agree with killing whales, the Japanese are legally in the right and are not endangering human life. My personal belief is that legal and diplomatic channels should be used to stop whaling; activism in the southern ocean is likely to get people killed, and that is unacceptable.

Acoustic Ecology Institute: site covers news about acoustic ecology projects (recent articles: wind-farm noise, Hawaii Superferry, naval exercises, etc). Also has links to bioacoustics research group sites.

I'm getting ready for my first committee meeting, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for it. Suppose I'd better talk to my advisor about that. Am also supposed to keep working on that report I had talked about - turned out my contact didn't even read it before I met with her, so now I'm even less stressed about deadlines for her. Oops?

No comments:

Post a Comment